Monday, August 15, 2005

Of tanks and tantrums

This is really just a relatively quick note to say that I am alive and kicking.

Everything is normal here in our little corner of West Africa.

Seriously, this was just about the most boring coup in history, il hamdulilah.

At first I thought it was a joke, we were in class and my language
teacher Brahim comes up to the roof and says, "So, there is coup."

Just like he would say, "So, there is tea," or "So, it is raining."

And then we were not allowed to be anywhere interesting for two days,
and then it was completely normal again.

We really didn't understand why anyone would worry, until I listened
to the BBC and realized that "The military has overthrown the
government of Mauritania" really can't be qualified with anything that
is going to make it sound better.

The only real difference around here is that the 15 pictures of the
old president have been removed from where they were posted around the
walls of the internet cafe. He is now on permanent vacation in the
Congo and not scowling at me as I type.

Vive le liberte.

Elections are in 2 years, inshallah, and if that happens it will be a
very exciting time to be in country.

Right now is a very exciting time for PCTs. Tomorrow we find out
where our permanent sites are going to be, and we have a week to go
visit. It is also a bit scary, as you find out who is in your region;
and who you won't be seeing for a year at a time.

Thanks to everyone who sent mail. Mom, I got the crystal light today
and two of your letters. Lins; I got three letters last center days,
and Kevin that postcard was such a bonus because I was totally not
expecting it. I had one of the most impressive piles at mail call, I
was so proud. I hope to be better with the physical mail once
training is over, we just don't have a lot of time right now.

ps i have been getting some mail returned because of the wrong email
addres from Lins, so if anyone can give me her current email; i would
love it.
back to the heat
amy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home